“HeRC develops and applies advanced methods to unlock and harness real-world evidence from health data across Northern England. This will create a world-leading multidisciplinary e-research environment for health discovery and innovation across the universities of Manchester, Liverpool, Lancaster and York.’’
- Advance methodology to harness linked health data for research and innovation.
- Drive programmes of cutting edge research using this methodology to support healthcare, academia, industry and participating citizens.
- Build capacity in the underpinning health informatics scholarship and professional development across Northern England.
HeRC will integrate its aims by creating a virtuous circle between health science and service through informatics scholarship and practice.
The Centre, led by Professor Iain Buchan, will produce new computer-based methods and tools, and apply them to five areas of innovation:
- CoOP: Helping patients to monitor their own health in daily life using mobile technologies such as smartphones, integrated with NHS care.
- MOD: Helping the NHS to examine complex flows of patients in order to spot missed opportunities for earlier or better targeted care.
- SEA-3: Giving researchers more powerful tools for identifying sub-groups of people who have different patterns of health that might illuminate new targets for treatment or prevention.
- DOT: Enabling different research teams to collaborate across different organisations to produce more powerful and timely analyses of anonymised healthcare records.
- FIN: Making clinical trial plans more planned, more efficiently run and more relevant to patients.
On the 28th October, the Health eResearch Centre brokered a meeting between patients, members of the public, health professionals, academics and policy makers. The aim of the meeting was to review a new government strategy on the opportunities that data and technology can bring to the UK’s health services. The National Information Board (NIB), a new public… Read more
The Farr Institute of Health Informatics Research (The Farr) is the UK’s centre of excellence in the field of health data science. The Health eResearch Centre is The Farr Institute@HeRC and is one of four nodes that make up The Farr Institute alongside: Farr@Scotland, Farr@London and Farr@CIPHER. Created in 2013 as a single overarching brand to… Read more
Investigators at HeRC have published a study, the results of which call into the question the occurrence of a commonly understood allergic pattern, known as the atopic-march. Atopic-march refers to an existing school of thought that implies a natural evolution of symptoms from eczema to asthma and rhinitis during childhood development but HeRC researchers, Dr… Read more